NEW-ZEALAND-L Archives

Archiver > NEW-ZEALAND > 1999-10 > 0941135073

From: Glennis Austin <>
Subject: HENDERSON, WEBB, AULD, SMITH
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 11:24:33 -0700

Hi Everyone

I joined the list a wee while ago, however time and my computer have
been against me. Anyway here goes with my interests.

George HENDERSON (b. c1842 Glasgow) and Frances Gordon SWAN (b. c1846
Edinburgh) arrived in NZ c1864 possibly via Australia. They married in
1866 in Oamaru and George was Reservoir Keeper. Eleven HENDERSON
children were all born in Oamaru: Catherine Ann, Annie Campbell, Francis
Margaret Ellen, James Keir (d. Bundaberg, Qld), Margaret Keir, George
Matheson, William Kirk, Helen Swan, Cecilia Swan, Robert Keir, John
Henry Ransom. The family moved to Wellington in the late 1890s. I would
like to make contact with any descendants, especially of George Matheson
HENDERSON, William Kirk HENDERSON d. Masterton 1927 and Robert Keir
HENDERSON d. Christchurch 1928 (rumoured to have had 14 children), I
have nothing further on these three.

John Robert WEBB (b. Cold Hatton, Shropshire 1862). The Seven Stars Inn
in Cold Hatton belonged to the family from 1786 until at least 1918
possibly longer. He arrived NZ c1885 m. Catherine Ann HENDERSON (see
above) in Oamaru 1888. There were nine WEBB children: George Frederick
(d. WW1), Francis Ada, Annie Violet Helen,(all born Oamaru), Cecilia
Margaret, Catherine Freda, John (Jack), Hilda, Robert (d. infancy), and
Vera Constance (were born Martinborough).

Thomas AULD (b. Stonehouse, Lanark 1863) orphaned 1873. Possibly
adopted by a "Granny Smith" and brought to NZ c1878 as Tommy SMITH.
(There has been mention of a Mrs RISMORE?, with whom "Granny" lived, a
diary and Waikanae also fit into this equation somewhere??). He changed
his name back to AULD and m. at Makotuku in 1887 Martha Ann SMITH (b.
1866 Dover). He worked for the Smith family sawmilling business,
throughout Hawkes Bay, King Country and Wanganui. There were four
children born in Hawkes Bay, Jessie Catherine, Pearl Euphemia, Robert
Wilson (d. Gallipoli) and my grandfather Thomas Vernon who married
Catherine Freda WEBB (see above) in 1921.

Henry SMITH (b. 1837 Lichfield) and Mary Ann SWAN (b. 1840 Dover)
arrived in Napier on board the Schiehallion in May 1874 with their ten
children. A futher nine were born in the Hawkes Bay. This family has
been well researched by others with two reunions having being held.
Their sixth child Martha Ann m. Thomas AULD (see above). There is no
relationship between this Smith family and "Granny Smith".

If you have reached here, thank you for your perserverance.

Regards to all and thank you Hugh for a job well done here and with the
Lanark list.

Glennis Austin
Palmerston North, NZ

This thread: