NIR-DERRY-L Archives

Archiver > NIR-DERRY > 2002-05 > 1022732312

From: Alison Causton <>
Subject: [Derry] New Lister's interests: KILPATRICK & McCOY, ca 1810 ff
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 00:18:32 -0400

Hello:

A couple of months ago, we began to research our KILPATRICK and McCOY
family histories. So far, we've obtained Tithes, Griffith's, and 1831
census index data, with plans to chase down more. With two such common
surnames and our ancestors' place of origin unknown, except for the
County, we anticipate a lo-o-ong term research project ;-).

The KILPATRICK and McCOY family members who emigrated from Co Derry to
Prescott, Ontario in 1847 were:

- Samuel KILPATRICK (ca 1810 - June 1892)
- Jane née McCOY (ca 1815 - May 1897)
- Robert (1836 - 1847)
- Mary (1838 - 1896)
- Sarah Jane (1840 - 1899)
- Margaret (1842 - 1876)
- William John (1845 - 1847)
- Adam (1857 - 1847)
- *Robert Gordon (1851 - 1930)

- Jane McCOY's mother was Margaret who, along with three of Samuel's &
Jane's children, died in 1847 (we don't know whether the deaths occurred
in Ireland, en route to Canada, or after arrival).

- Robert Gordon married Sarah Selina HUGGINS in Ontario, ca 1883 (born
Dec 1855 in Barnet, Hertfordshire, but probably of Irish parents,
Catholic, possibly from Co Cork). The KILPATRICKs' stated religion was Presbyterian.

Just thought I'd post this information in case there are other Co Derry
KILPATRICK and McCOY family history researchers out there.

Regards,
Alison Causton
Kingsville, Ontario
Canada