NORTHUP-L Archives

Archiver > NORTHUP > 2008-02 > 1202263833

From: Hazelett <>
Subject: Re: [NORTHUP] SOLOMON NORTHUP kidnapped in Washington city in 1841
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 18:10:33 -0800

This might be an important find for my family interest. Solomon was
attached to the Northup family in the Fort Edward area of the Hudson
Valley area of New York. Solomon was kidnapped in 1841 and sold into
slavery. He was rescued by Henry B Northup in late 1852 with a return
to the Northup home in January or early February 1853.

Perhaps the book you found was a copy of "Twelve Years A Slave" by
Solomon telling of his capture, sale into slavery, and captivity. A
letter was written to descendants of Henry B Northup in 1909 from a
contemporary who knew Solomon and his father, Mintus, which gives
more details. The letter forms the core of the narrative of a chapter
in Edith Hay Wyckoff's book based on letters found in her
grandparents home and is a collection of stories of the Northup
family branch which was centered in the Fort Edward area of New York
and then spread out across America. The book is "The Autobiography of
an American Family," published in 2000 by the Washington County
Historical Society, 167 Broadway, Fort Edward, NY 12828. The ISBN
number is 1-881868-02-8, which doesn't mean much because I am pretty
sure the only sales outlet is the Washington County Historical
Society bookstore :-)

Solomon Northup's book is still in print.

Stafford