PAALLEGH-L Archives

Archiver > PAALLEGH > 1997-06 > 0865820678

From: Johanna Myatt <>
Subject: [PAALLEGH-L] Adams, St. Clair twp.
Date: 08 Jun 97 21:44:38 EDT

Hi
My Adams line is only a couple of generations but has some missing links.
Johnston ADAMS (b. @1791 Pa d. 1868) was married to Jane ? ( d.1847)
probably about 1815. Johnston and Jane are buried in Bethel Park Cem. They
had the following children:
Thomas Patterson ADAMS b. @1818 d. 1864 m. Margaret they had issue
Mary P. b. @1820 m. John Fife, Jr. they had issue
Margaret Hannah d. 1844 not married
Samuel Morgan Adams b. @1824 d. 1864 (at Cold Harbor, Va.-Civil War battle)
Sarah Ann b. @1826 d. 1857 m. David Calhoun Hultz
Aseneath Jane b. @1829 d. 1863
Lucinda b. @1832 d.1834
I would like to identify Johnston's parents and his wife Jane's family.
I have not been able to place Johnston into the family of Dr.Samuel Adams who
lived in St. Clair in the late 1700s early 1800s and then migrated to Beaver
Falls. Through an agreement ("as compensation and not a bequeath") for
the care of Thomas and Mary (FIFE) PATTERSON (a childless couple) dated 1837
Johnston acquires the land of Thomas and Mary PATTERSON after their death.
The transfer of this land was disputed in court in 1866. The records
indicate that in 1837 Johnston was residing on the land conveyed to him for
about 7 years and he had done many acts of kindness. He abided by the
contract and moved into the Patterson's house to give care until the time of
Thomas's death in 1837 and did maintain the widow Mary until 1838 when she
left the house and went to live with "another relative." The language of "as
compensation and not a bequeath" and Mary moving in with "another relative"
makes me suspect a connection between Johnston and/or his wife to the
Pattersons or Fifes but I can't find it. There was also a dispute over the
validity of Thomas Patterson's will in 1853 by heirs at law, William PATTERSON
and John ----bower and his wife Sarah Jane Patterson.
I can find no connection between Johnston or his wife Jane with any of the
MORGANs who lived in the area.
I have the 1820-1860 censuses, tax lists, all the real estate transactions
on the parcel of property, and the orphan court records. Johnston's will
stated to sell his property at public auction and divide between the children
of Mary Fife, the children of Thomas P. Adams, and the childen of Sarah
Hultz. The executors were James W ROFF and John B. STILLEY. Witnesses: A.
M. MORGAN and W.M. STILLEY
Am hoping someone has a tie to any of these families and can find a
connection. Any suggestions would also be appreciated.
Johanna

This thread: