PADUTCHgenONLY-L ArchivesArchiver > PADUTCHgenONLY > 1998-07 > 0900994356
Subject: [PADUTCHgenONLY-L] BROSIUS at PA GENWEB site
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 00:12:36 -0400
The PA Genweb is a goldmine of info! I hadn't stopped by in a while and
noticed significant improvements. This is a sampling of info I found. In
Nothumberland co. O found a whole page worth of births, civil war
participants, burial records and marriages. I wish NJ would follow suit
and start making their vital statistics info available in this way. Joy -
note there is a Seasholtz in the info below too! They also have Dehaven
genealogies at the website.
GEORGETOWN. [Present day Dalmatia]
This village, the most important in the extreme southern part of
county, is situated in the western part of Lower Mahanoy on the bank of
Susquehanna river and the line of the Northern Central railway. The site
embraced in a tract of land which was patented to Thomas McKee by the
government in 1767. Six years later it was purchased by William Dunbar
subsequently passed into the possession of Sebastian Brosius; he willed
his son, John George Brosius, by whom a store was opened and a mill was
erected; the latter is said to have been the first in the southern part
county and was situated on Stone Valley creek at the lower end of the
The town site was surveyed in 1798 by William Gray, deputy surveyor for
Northumberland county, and became within a few years a place of
local importance. As evidenced by the assessment of 1811, the
that date, with the names of respective owners and occupants, were as
house and stable, owned by Peter Secrist and occupied by George Borell;
owned by James White and occupied by Hugh Bruman, storekeeper; house,
occupied by Peter Borell, blue-dyer; house, owned and occupied by
Bubb, Jr., carpenter; house and shop, owned and occupied by John Ebright,
hatter; house and stable, owned and occupied by John Fenstermacher;
owned and occupied by Peter Hoffman, inn keeper; house, owned and
Daniel Lahr; house, owned and occupied by Daniel Rothermel, inn keeper;
and shop, owned by William Witman and occupied by Daniel Seasholtz,
house, owned and occupied by Jacob Stricken
The town has steadily expanded in population and importance, and
always been the business center of the community naturally tributary to
present business and industrial interests include three general stores,
drug store, three hotels, a shingle and stave factory, and a nail mill.
postoffice designation is Dalmatia.
Colonel James Cameron Post, No. 186, G. A. R., was organized on
of March, 1882.
The post-village of this name is situated three miles from
the main road from that place to Lykens and at its intersection with the
Mahantango Valley road. It is the location of one store, a Reformed and
Lutheran church, the shops of several mechanics, and perhaps a dozen
residences. The former local name was Vera Cruz.
The Witmer mill, as originally built by George Brosius, was a log
structure; the present frame building is three stories high, equipped
three sets of buhrs. The mill now operated by Michael Spotts was built
by Michael Wart and Michael Rudel.
A distillery was once operated by John Dockey.
The Dalmatia Iron and Nail Company organized with John Bingeman,
president, L. K. Ressler, treasurer, and W. O. Bingeman, secretary; the
include three frame buildings, with the necessary machinery.
The first school house at Georgetown, a log structure, was
the site of Isaac Fenstermacher's residence; the names of Eisenhower,
Murray, Drake, and Brooker occur among the early teachers.
The public school system was adopted in 1865; the first school
composed of David Seiler, B. M. Bubb, Adam Lenker, S. B. High, Franklin
Markley, and Elias Wiest. Messrs. Wiest and High, being opposed to the
resigned, and Jacob Dreibelbeis and Philip Messner were appointed by the
in their places, December 16, 1865. As thus constituted, the directors
on the 29th of December, 1865, with Adam Lenker, president, B. M. Bubb,
secretary, and David Seiler, treasurer. Two new buildings were erected
1866, six in 1867, and two subsequently, making ten school houses at the
present time, in which eleven schools are taught.
Stone Valley Church, Lutheran and Reformed, was originally known
the name of Christian Unity, and it is supposed that public worship and
administration of the sacraments were begun in this locality as early as
The first church building was a small log structure twenty by thirty
second, which is in a good state of preservation at the present time
erected in 1796 by Jacob Thani, a carpenter by occupation, who received
hundred thirty pounds as evidenced by the agreement, which is still
The trustees at that time were Nicholas Bubb, Lutheran, and Henry
Reformed. This building was remodeled some years since, and is the
place of worship. The joint congregations also own a tract of land
sixty-five acres and ninety-three perches, a patent for which was
granted by the State.
The Lutheran organization was formed by Reverend Wolf prior to
probably some years anterior to that date. He was successively followed
Reverends Adam, Gansel, Ulrich, and Walther, whose terms of service are
known. Rev. Peter Shindel was pastor, l822-35; John Nicholas Hemping,
C. F. Welden, 1851; Reverends Yeager, Bergner, and Walz, 1852-64;
Shindel, 1864- 70; J. W. Early, 1870-74; J. M. Ulrich, 1874-82; C. R.
Drumheller, 1883-84, and W. H Geiger, 1884, present incumbent. The
(1890) church council is composed of Benjamin Phillips, J. W. Lenker,
Byerly, J. M. Byerly, J. F. Lenker, and Michael Rudel.
Georgetown Church, Lutheran and Reformed, is a frame building
fifty feet in dimensions, erected in 1845. The organizers were George
John Bressner, William Shaffer, Peter Witmer, Solomon Ressler, Abraham
Jacob Dreibelbeis, and George Witmer. Among the pastors have been
Stiver, Bressler, Engle, Early, Ulrich, Drumheller, Geiger, and Brown.
Vera Cruz Church, Lutheran and Reformed, is a brick structure
five by fifty-five feet in dimensions, with steeple and bell. The
was laid on the 12th of August, 1860, and the dedication occurred, June
You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail.
Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com
Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]