POYTHRESS-L Archives

Archiver > POYTHRESS > 2008-01 > 1199244024

From: Barbara P Neal <>
Subject: Re: [POYTHRESS] Poythress & John Peter Wagnon in Flareferences 1793-1814
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2008 20:20:24 -0700

In a Google search on "Bartolome Morales 1795" I found that Bartolome
Morales became the Acting Governor of Spanish Florida in 1795.

In a Google search on "Carlos Howard 1795 Florida" I found that Carlos
Howard was a Spanish officer who sent reports to Bartolome Morales about
Blacks & the Creek Indians.

Those references to Carlos Howard came from Google Book references in a
book "A New Order of Things: Property, Power, and the Transformation of
the Creek Indians, 1733-1816" by Claudio Saunt, published 1999. The
short blurb about the book says: "Claudio Saunt vividly depicts a
dramatic transformation in the eighteenth century that overturned the
world of the powerful and numerous Creek Indians and forever changed the
Deep South. As the Creeks amassed a fortune in cattle and slaves, new
property fostered a new possessiveness, and government by coercion bred
confrontation. A New Order of Things is the first book to chronicle this
decisive transformation in America's early history, a transformation
that left deep divisions between the wealthy and poor, powerful and
powerless."

This thread: