POYTHRESS-L Archives

Archiver > POYTHRESS > 2014-02 > 1393104929

From: Barbara Neal <>
Subject: [POYTHRESS] Info from S C Hawksworth 2/22 re his Fresno Poytressinquiry 2/9/14
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 14:35:29 -0700

Good to hear back from you, Steve. I'm again copying our Poythress List,
and strongly encourage you to use "Reply All" so that others of our group
who may have helpful info, can respond to help both of us, as well as
more people in the future.

It's great that your Aunt (who you think would have met John Albert
Poytress, who came to Fresno, CA) and his wife Annie, is still living at
90+ and still so mentally sharp. It is great that you will be talking
further with her -- do so as soon as you can. Many of us who have now lost
the elders of our own family lines wish we had asked so many more questions
of them.

I got a bit lost in the info you mentioned having earlier gotten from your
Aunt, so I have several points needing clearing up, for clarification.

You wrote that your Aunt has previously told you:

1. "John [John Albert Poytress, right?] and his brother had both gone out
to USA. John lost his wife in child birth [It sounds like this is a wife
who initially accompanied him from England, right?]. He returned to UK and
visited Ma's family [The maiden name and married name of your Aunt's mother
would help clarify who this is]. He met and fell in love with Annie -
daughter of Ma's sister Jane [again, names would help here: from context
of your next quote from your Aunt, I'm assuming that this is the Jane who
was married Will Hopkins, and thus that Jane's daughter, Annie, had the
maiden name of Annie Hopkins]. John married her [Annie Hopkins] and took
her to Fresno [which you, Steve, notes suggests the marriage was at
Staunton]. Annie was the eldest of five children."

2. "Jane was married to Will Hopkins. Jane and Will subsequently went out
to Fresno. This is the Uncle Will [Hopkins, right?] on Wesley (my
grandfather) immigration record from Staunton of 1929."
[Lower in your email today, not quoting your Aunt, you mentioned a
Will/William who I think is different from this Will Hopkins: you said:
"My grandfather, Wesley [Am I correct in understanding from your email
yesterday that your grandfather's surname was Hawksworth?], had a brother
William [thus William Hawksworth?]. He left Staunton in 1914. His Draft
Card has him as "Declared" and working as a farmer, for J.A Poytress, Route
6(?) Box 62, Fresno, California. I think Will may have left UK to run one
of John's farms. In doing so he avoided WW1. This may have been because of
religious/pacifist beliefs. Wesley left Staunton, with his sister Mabel,
for Fresno in 1915. His Draft Card has him as a farm labourer for Chas
Dack, R.R.H. Box 196, Fresno."

3. "John was in American Colony [Was this an area in Fresno County, CA?].
Uncle Will was in Easton [Easton, CA is a small town on the south side of
Fresno, both of which are in Fresno County, CA]. Uncle Will lost three
bungalows in fires, John had a two storey house next door to the farm, this
was also lost by fire."

4. "John's wife was killed in a motor accident" [I understand this to be
John Albert Poytress' wife whose maiden name was Annie Hopkins, thanks to
your mention in today's email that you think you have somewhere the
newspaper obituaries for John and the road accident for Annie. Do you know
if I'm correct to assume that this accident, in which Annie died, was at
some point after their youngest child, John Robert Poytress, was born 10
June 1910 -- about 2 months after the official 1910 Census date of April
15th.]

Can you please confirm for me, that the unnamed brother, who you mentioned
in #1 above, and who came from England with John Albert Poytress may have
been William J Poytress? I ask, because in the 1910 Fresno CA Census
(transcription below) William J Poytress lived near J.A. Poytress on Fruit
Ave and was enumerated the day before J.A. Poytress was. As you'll see
below, William J Poytress was then age 40, and also had come from England,
reportedly in 1905, which is 14 years after John Albert Poytress came in
1891.

US Census, 1910, for Fresno, CA, Twp 4, Supv Dist 6, Enum Dist 53, Sheet
10-A, enumerated [as of 15 Apr] on 10 May 1910, dwelling 240, family 242,
Lines 34-40:
Household on Fruit Avenue, dwelling 240, family 242:
-- William J Poytress, head, age 40, male, white, m-1 [in his first
marriage], married 19 years, born "Eng.-English" and father & mother also
"Eng.-English,", immigrated to US 1905, "Pa" indicates he had filed Papers
for Naturalization, born "Eng.-English" and father & mother also
"Eng.-English," Farmer, general farm, working on Own Account, can read, can
write, Rents, Farm, #421 on farm schedule
-- Emma, wife, female, white, age 41, m-1 [her first marriage], married
19 yrs, mother of 7 children, 5 of whom are living, born "Eng.-English,"
father & mother born "Eng.-English," immigrated to US 1905, [Naturalization
status blank], speaks English, "None" employment, can read, can write;
-- William H, son, male, white, age 18, single, born "Eng.-English,"
father & mother born "Eng.-English," immigrated to US 1905, speaks English;
"None" employment, father & mother born "Eng-England," speaks English,
"None" employment, can read, can write, yes attended school any time since
Sep 1, 1909;
-- Sidney J, son, male, white, age 15, single, born "Eng.-English,"
father & mother born "Eng.-English," immigrated to US 1905, speaks English;
"None" employment, father & mother born "Eng-England," speaks English,
"None" employment, can read, can write, yes attended school any time since
Sep 1, 1909;
-- Francis E, son, male, white, age 11, single, born "Eng.-English,"
father & mother born "Eng.-English," immigrated to US 1905, speaks English;
"None" employment, father & mother born "Eng-England," speaks English,
"None" employment, can read, can write, yes attended school any time since
Sep 1, 1909;
-- May, daughter, female, white, age 6, single, born "Eng.-English,"
father & mother born "Eng.-English," immigrated to US 1905, speaks English;
"None" employment, father & mother born "Eng-England," [blank re whether
she speaks English], "None" employment, can read, can write, no did not
attend school any time since Sep 1, 1909;
-- John T, son, male, white, age 1/12, single, born CA, father & mother
born "Eng.-English" [remainder of line blank]

US Census, 1910, for Fresno, CA, Twp 4, Supv Dist 6, Enum Dist 53, Sheet
10-B, enumerated as of 15 April on 11 May 1910, dwellings 251 & 252
(families 253 & 254), Lines 85-91:
[This first household appears to logically be that of a younger brother
Annie Hopkins, wife of John Albert Poytress, below, and likely worked for
him]
Household on Fruit Avenue, dwelling 251, family 253
-- Harry Hopkins, head, male, white, age 26, m-1 [his first marriage],
been married 2 yrs, born "Eng.-English" and father & mother also
"Eng.-English," immigrated to US in 1909, "Pa" indicates he had filed
Papers for Naturalization; speaks English; Farm laborer, working out,
working on own account, was not out of work on Apr 15, 1910; 3 wks out of
work during 1900, can read, can write, [blank re attended school any time
since Sep 1, 1909], home rented, [blank re own free or mtg], home, [blank
re # on farm schedule], [not soldier of Union or Conf Army or Navy], [not
blind], [not deaf & dumb]
-- Florence L, wife, female, white, age 32, m-1 [her first marriage],
been married 2 yrs, born "Eng.-English" and father & mother also
"Eng.-English," immigrated to US in 1909, [Naturalization status blank],
speaks English, "None" employment, can read, can write, [blank re attended
school since Sept 1, 1909]
-- Ivy G, daughter, female, white, age 12/12 mo, single, born
"Eng.-English" and father & mother also "Eng.-English," immigrated to US in
1909, [Naturalization status blank], speaks English, "None" employment;
remainder of line blank.
Household on West Avenue, dwelling 252, family 254
-- John A Poytress, head, male, white, age 39, m-2 [his 2nd marriage],
married "0" years [so married since 15 April of 1909], born "Eng.-English"
and father & mother also "Eng.-English," immigrated to US in 1891,
Naturalized, speaks English, Farmer, general farm, Employer, can read, can
write, Owns, mortgaged, Farm, #215 on farm schedule
-- Annie, wife, female, white, age 32, m-2 [her 2nd marriage], married
"0" years [so married since 15 April of 1909], born "Eng.-English" and
father & mother also "Eng.-English," immigrated to US in 1909,
[Naturalization status blank], speaks English, "None" employment, can read,
can write, [blank re attended school since Sept 1, 1909]
-- Ellener M, daughter, female, white, age 15, single, born CA, father &
mother born "Eng-England," speaks English, "None" employment, can read, can
write, yes attended school any time since Sep 1, 1909
-- Alice Hopkins, sister-in-law, female, white, age 30, single, born
"Eng.-English" and father & mother also "Eng.-English,", immigrated to US
in 1909, speaks English, "None" employment, can read, can write, [blank re
attended school since Sept 1, 1909]

It's good to learn from you about Staunton, in Gloucestershire, where John
Albert Poytress was brought up. I don't recall having heard of "Chartism"
and its non-conformist, strong religious beliefs, somewhat alternative
thinkings, so read up a bit more, thanks to a google search.

>From another google search, I learned of the Fresno Historical Society at
valleyhistory.org which shows some archived photos from their extensive
collection, such as the ones you mentioned.

Thanks again for writing.
Barbara

On Sat, Feb 22, 2014 at 3:22 AM, S C Hawksworth Ltd <

This thread: