QUAKER-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > QUAKER-ROOTS > 2003-12 > 1070334344

From: "JTR" <>
Subject: [Q-R] Cheska Wheatley has Past On...
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 19:05:48 -0800

Greetings to all Quaker-Roots, Andis, Clayton, Badgely and Mills Listers....

It is with great sadness that I send you the news that your list owner,
Cheska Callow Wheatley, died yesterday, November 30, 2003 at the age of 60.
She had been battlling Inflammatory breast cancer for the past few years and
had taken a turn for the worse during the past few months. Genealogy was her
passion and many of us have benefited from the hours she spent sharing with
the online genealogy community. She spent many years as a school
psychologist and is survived by her two grown children, Bryce and Mindy.

As her close "Email" friend for the past 10 years, Cheska had become an
important part of my life... one of my first truly electronic friendships!
Cheska and I went through many stages of our lives together and discussed
everything from mourning departed family members, to struggling with illness
and work issues, to rejoicing the marriages of our daughters and new
grandchildren. I will miss her wonderfully written sagas that have actually
developed a "fan club" over the years. Many of my friends and family also
loved to read the latest note I had received from Cheska!

I am mulling over the idea of creating a memorial web page in her honor, so
if any of you have e-mail notes or anything else about Cheska you'd like to
share.... please send it on to me and I'll see what I can do.

interested, please let me know. Due to lack of genealogy time, I am
currently not following any of these lists. I would appreciate any help
figuring out how to proceed.... I believe I have her password and we can
switch the list to the new manager without much trouble.

----
WANT TO MAKE A DONATION IN CHESKA'S HONOR?
Here is a link I found from the National Cancer Institute's website. I
remember hearing about this research group and feel it would be a good one
to help others who are diagnosed with IBS in the future. The site takes
payments onlin and you can have your donation be made in Cheska's honor.

California Breast Cancer Research Program:
https://ssl34.securedata.net/cbcrp/supportcbcrp.asp
Grant Funding Available for Breast Cancer Research

Initial Award Abstract - Mary Alpaugh, Ph.D.
Inflammatory breast cancer is an unusual type of the disease that is
characterized by a very high degree of invasion into the blood and lymphatic
vessels. We have established the first human model of this form of the
disease, a transplantable inflammatory carcinoma xenograft model called
MARY-X. This is a human tumor obtained from a patient with inflammatory
breast carcinoma, which grows in mice similar to humans. This allows us to
study the detailed molecular mechanisms that regulate inflammatory
carcinoma. Our specific interest is the invasion of cancer cells into the
blood and lymphatic vessels. MARY-X is extremely aggressive in this invasion
process, and it even turns the skin of the mouse bright red just like
inflammatory cancer does in humans.

Thank you for reading this and I'll look forward to hearing from any of you
who are interested in being list administrators or who have something to add
to the Cheska web page memorial!

Joanne (Todd) Rabun
Email:
http://www.rootsweb.com/~genepool