ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2008-01 > 1199321807

From: M Boyer <>
Subject: Re: [ROOTS-L] Keeping all your family genealogy to your self?
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 17:56:47 -0700

Personally, I'm not publishing my genealogy because my database was
somewhat garbled, and other information is such that I don't have
accurate information about the source of all the data. I've heard a
lot of people complain about copyright infringement when compilations
of other people's works are published without permission. The article
referenced earlier also spoke about having trees pirated and used
elsewhere as if it were one's own work. Much of my info came from
email exchanges with family, and other portions were researched
extensively by another family member. I can't even be sure that the
information I received from them was not someone else's work. I can
only be sure of the research I've done myself, but don't want to try
to separate that out of my tree just so I can publish a part of the
whole. I'm happy to share the information privately with people, but
do want to be cautious about infringing on other people's copyrights
both out of respect for their work and not wanting to cause trouble
for myself. One branch of my family tree actually comes from a
published booklet that I found in the LDS library and I was also given
a copy from a relative in Norway.

So, how do we share our trees without crossing these lines?

Micki

This thread: