SCSPARTA-L Archives

Archiver > SCSPARTA > 2003-11 > 1067936926

From: "Lloyd Ray Timmons, Sr." <>
Subject: [SCSPARTA] We Are The Chosen
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 04:06:00 -0600

We Are The Chosen

My feelings are in each family there are those who seem called to find their
ancestors. To put flesh on their bones and make them live again. To tell
their story and to feel that somehow they know and approve. Doing genealogy
is not a cold gathering of facts, but breathing life into all who have gone
before us. They cry out: Tell our story. So, we do.

In finding them, we somehow find ourselves. How many graves have I stood
before now and cried? I have lost count. How many times have I told my
ancestors you have a wonderful family, you would be proud of us? How many
times have I walked up to a grave and felt somehow there was love there for
us? I cannot say.

It goes beyond just documenting facts. It goes to who we are and why we do
the things we do. It goes to seeing a cemetery about to be lost forever to
weeds and indifference and saying I can't let this happen. The folks here
are bones of my bones and flesh of my flesh. It goes to doing something
about it. It goes to pride in what our ancestors were able to accomplish.
How they contributed to what we are today. It goes to respecting their
hardships and losses. Their never giving up or never giving in.Their
resoluteness to go on and build a life for their family.

With love and caring we record each fact of their existence. Because we are
them and they are us. We might be born that we might remember them. So, we
the chosen tell their story.

Lloyd Ray Timmons, Sr.

This thread: