SPILLER-L Archives

Archiver > SPILLER > 2006-01 > 1137733178

From: "Martha Canopy" <>
Subject: Elijah Spiller (1780's to 1840's)--IL
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 22:59:38 -0600

Continuation of the Spiller Family of Southern Illinois

1. Here is how I have the relationship between the 4 Spiller brothers that came to Southern Illinois in the early 1800's. I believe that Elijah came first, bringing his family before 1818 since he is recorded in the statehood census of 1818. He was joined by his half-brother, William; half-sister, Lydia (spouse-John Pekin Duncan); and sister, Nancy (spouse-Abraham Tippy) and their families by 1820. All were found in the 1820 census of Franklin Co., IL (Williamson Co. was not formed until 1839). Benjamin and Warrenton King (III) Spiller and families were in the 1820 census of Robertson Co., TN which indicates that they had not moved their families to IL yet. It is quite possible that Benjamin and W.K. had made trips to IL and perhaps even purchased land in preparation for the move.

WARRENTON KING (II)3 SPILLER (WARRENTON KING (I)2, WILLIAM(1)1) was born Abt. 1735 in Virginia. He married (1) LYDIA FARROW, daughter of ABRAHAM FARROW and MARGARET MASON. He married (2) LEANNAH NICHOLSON Aft. 1771. She was born Abt. 1740. There is some speculation that Leannah was the daughter of Jonathan Nicholas s/o George Nicholas of Williamsburg, VA. This is apparently based on the Sperry letter that describes Leannah's family being friends with several famous Virginians of the Revolutionary War Period. In searching for a family that fit this description, someone found a reference to the existence of an unnamed daughter of Jonathan Nicholas in a doctoral dissertation on "The Nicholas Family of Virginia" by Victor Dennis Golladay (dated June 1973). Since this fit the family description and time frame, the connection was made between Leannah and this unnamed daughter. I have not seen any actual proof that Leannah was the daughter of Jonathan Nichols.

Children of WARRENTON SPILLER and LYDIA FARROW are:

i. LYDIA SPILLER, b. 06 May 1771, Robertson Co., TN; d. 06 May 1843, Williamson County, IL.She married JOHN DUNCAN 10 Mar 1786 in Robertson Co. TN, son of JOHN DUNCAN and RACHEL WARREN. He was born 27 Dec 1763 in Culpepper Co., VA, and died 13 Dec 1834 in Franklin, Co., IL.

ii. WILLIAM SPILLER, was born 12 Dec 1769 in Tennessee, and died 1851 in Williamson County, IL. He married WINIFRED BENSON, daughter of WILLIAM BENSON and NANCY THOMPSON. She was born Abt. 1773, and died Bef. 1850.

Children of WARRENTON SPILLER and LEANNAH NICHOLSON are:

iii. WARRENTON KING III SPILLER, was born 22 Dec 1779 in Tennessee, and died 09 Sep 1853 in Illinois. He married CELIA BOREN 25 Nov 1813, daughter of MARY (NEE UNKNOWN) BOREN. She was born 28 Nov 1795 in Tennessee, and died 18 Aug 1871 in Illinois.

iv. ELIJAH SPILLER was born Bet. 1780 - 1790, and died Bet. 1840 - 1850 in Illinois. He married SUSAN (NEE UNKNOWN) SPILLER3. She died Aft. 1850.

v. NANCY SPILLER. She married ABRAHAM TIPPY. Nancy buried at Bainbridge Cemetery Williamson County Ill. Abraham died 1830-1840. Williamson County Illinois.

vi. BENJAMIN SPILLER was born Abt. 1780, and died Bef. 24 Sep 1838 in Williamson County,IL. He married ELIZABETH BENSON, daughter of WILLIAM BENSON and NANCYTHOMPSON. She was born Abt. 1785, and died 1848.

vii. ELIZABETH SPILLER, m. WILLIAM DUNCAN; b. 1765, Culpepper Co., VA; d. Oct 1817,Robertson Co., TN. Information from Beverly Spiller Armes, West Frankfort, IL, rec'd 1997 says there is no record of this couple coming to Illinois.

2. Correction: Birthdate of Olive Spiller, daughter of Benjamin Spiller was 1845, not 1843 as given in the last post. (And she is my connection to the Spiller family-I should have had that one right!!)

3. The annotation of (I), (II), and (III) on the Warrenton (King) Spillers and William Spillers are added so that I could keep them straight. I had to do something to keep them separated. There is a (IV) also, s/o (III) and Celia. I am not getting into the ancestry of (II) at this time. I still have to sort that out yet.

4. I received several emails about my comment on the wagon train. There probably was a wagon train, but the census records show that the four brothers did not migrate to Illinois at the same time. Elijah and William were in IL at the time of the 1820 census and Warrenton King and Benjamin were still in Robertson Co., TN. The Tippy (Nancy Spiller) and Duncan (Lydia Spiller) families were in IL in the 1820 census. So it is likely that the Tippy, Duncan and 2 of the Spiller brothers came in a wagon train.

Now, on to Chapter 2 of the Spiller Family-and I am really looking forward to comments, corrections, and I hope additions to this one!!

Descendants of Elijah Spiller

Generation No. 1

1. ELIJAH4 SPILLER (WARRENTON KING (II)3, WARRENTON KING (I)2, WILLIAM(1)1) was born Bet. 1780 - 1790, and died Bet. 1840 - 1850 in Illinois. He married SUSAN (NEE UNKNOWN) SPILLER1. She died Aft. 1850.

Notes for ELIJAH SPILLER: Elijah has been the most elusive of the brothers to pursue. I had never seen a list of his children. The 1820 census of Franklin Co., IL shows 6 children, 3 males under 10, 2 females under 10 and 1 female between 10 and 16. In 1830, Elijah was in Jackson County and had 5 sons, 2 under 5, 1 between 10 and 15, and 2 between 15 and 20. There were 3 daughters indicated in 1830, 2 between 5 and 10 and 1 between 10 and 15. Apparently in the 10 years between 1820 census and the 1830 census Elijah had 2 sons and at least 1 daughter and the oldest daughter is no longer in the household. This indicates Elijah had 5 sons and 4, possible 5 daughters. I identified 7 possible Spillers that could belong to Elijah, 4 males and 3 females. The 3 females have at various times been assigned to other brothers, usually Benjamin. Since I had a fairly reliable list of Benjamin's children from a 1856 court case, I feel it is likely they are Elijah's daughters.

I know that Elijah was a preacher and performed marriages. There are a number of references in family stories to marriages performed by Uncle Elijah Spiller. Unfortunately, most of these marriages are not recorded. There are very few official records of early Spiller marriages.

Elijah was a preacher. There is a reference to Elijah in a work by Nathaniel S. Haynes, History of the Disciples in Illinois 1819-1914, which was placed online by James L. McMillan . In discussing the Christian Church in Mulkeytown, IL, it says that Elijah was the first preacher that Mr. Haynes heard and that he was an old man who had lived here many years. On the homepage of the website of the First Christian Church of Marion, Illinois, it says: "The Church was formed in the early spring of 1841 in the area now known as Spillertown, IL in a log house erected by Elijah Spiller." He was in Illinois at the time of the statehood census in 1818. In the 1820 census, his family was in Franklin Co., IL (remember, at that time Franklin Co. included what is now Williamson Co.). In 1830, the family was in Jackson Co., Il. By 1840, they were back in Williamson Co.

Children of ELIJAH SPILLER and SUSAN SPILLER are:

1. LYDIA SPILLER, b. 06 Oct 18192; d. 08 Feb 1876

2. BENJAMIN N. SPILLER, b. Abt. 1816, Tn.

3. WARREN H SPILLER, b. Abt. 1811, TN.

4. WILLIAM B SPILLER, b. Abt. 1813, TN.

5. JOHN SPILLER, b. Abt. 1825, Illinois.

6. FRANCES SPILLER, b. 07 Nov 1807, Robertson Co., TN; d. 18 Apr 1883, Lake Creek, Williamson Co., IL.

7. ELIZABETH SPILLER, b. 1818, Illinois; d. Aft. 1880.

Generation No. 2

1. LYDIA SPILLER, b. 06 Oct 18192; d. 08 Feb 1876, Buried Jacob Hunter Cemetery, Williamson Co, IL2;m. GEORGE W. HUNTER2, 20 Jan 1838, Franklin Co., IL; d. 08 Sep 1878, Buried Jacob Hunter Cemetery,Williamson Co, IL2.

It is my (Martha Jackson Canopy) belief that Lydia Spiller Hunter is the daughter of Elijah and Susan Spiller. This is based on (1) 11 of the 12 children of Benjamin & Elizabeth Spiller are named in a court case--see Benjamin Spiller file) and the 12th child is known to be Olive Spiller Herrin, wife of A.J. Herrin and (2) in the 1850 census, Susan Spiller, widow of Elijah was living with Lydia and George Hunter. George Hunter was in the Black Hark War, 1st Brig ILL Mtd Volunteers--Off the Beaten Path II-page 68. Marriage of LYDIA SPILLER and GEORGE HUNTER: Date & location from "Footprints in Williamson County, Illinois," Vol. 5, #1, Spring, 2002, Williamson County Historical Society, p. 2.

2. BENJAMIN N. SPILLER was born Abt. 1816 in Tn3. He married (1) SALLY (NEE UNKNOWN) SPILLER3. She was born Abt. 1818 in Tennessee3, and died Bef. 1855 in Illinois4. He married (2) CATHERINE SHELTON 02 Aug 1855 in Franklin Co., IL4. She was born Abt. 1830 in Kentucky.This Benjamin Spiller was living in Franklin Co., IL in 1840 and 1850 according to the census. In 1850, he was 34 yrs old born in TN. By process of elimination, I (mlc) assigned him to Elijah, the preacher. Age fits the male children of Elijah of the 1830 census which states Elijah had 5 sons. His middle initial is probably "N" Sally was named in the 1850 census of Franklin Co., IL. In 1855, Benjamin married Catharine Shelton and she was named as his spouse in the 1860 census.

Children of BENJAMIN SPILLER and SALLY SPILLER are:

1. LYDIA SPILLER, b. Abt. 1843, Illinois5.Lydia was not listed in the family in the 1860 census.

2. JOHN R. SPILLER, b. Abt. 1849, Illinois.

3. BENJAMIN W. SPILLER, b. Abt. 1852, Illinois6.Benjamin is not found in the 1870 census of Illinois.

iv. JAMES A SPILLER, b. Abt. 18556.Also in 1870 census in home of Benjamin and Catherine Spiller.

Children of BENJAMIN SPILLER and CATHERINE SHELTON are:

v. GEORGE W. SPILLER, b. Apr 1857, Illinois.

vi. ELIZA J SPILLER, b. Abt. 1861, Illinois.

vii. AUGUSTA SPILLER, b. Abt. 1864, Illinois.

viii. WILLIAM SPILLER, b. Abt. 1865, Illinois.

3. WARREN H SPILLER was born Abt. 1811 in TN. He married ELIZABETH GILL. In 1850, Warren is in the Northern region of Jackson Co., IL. In the 1860 census, Warren is listed as W.H. Spiller, then somone wrote a "m" over the top of the H. But ages, wife and children's names match. The source of Gill as the maiden name of Warren's wife is http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/c/a/c/Robin-L-Cacopardo/

Children of WARREN SPILLER and ELIZABETH GILL are:

i. JOSEPH E. SPILLER, b. Abt. 1839, Illinois.

ii. WILLIAM G. SPILLER, b. Abt. 1841, Illinois.

iii. JOHN W. SPILLER, b. Abt. 1844, Illinois.

iv. ANN E. SPILLER, b. Abt. 1845, Illinois.

v. SUSAN A. SPILLER, b. Abt. 1848, Illinois.

vi. JULIA Z. SPILLER, b. Abt. 1851, Illinois.

4. WILLIAM B SPILLER was born Abt. 1813 in TN7. He married ELIZABETH (NEE UNKNOWN) SPILLER7. She was born Abt. 1817 in Illinois7.In 1850 census of Southern district of Jackson Co., IL. In 1860 census, name is given as Spillers, located in Township 9, Range 1 west, post office is Carbondale, IL.

From "History of the First Presbyterian Church of Carbondale" (http://www.globaleyes.net/Churches/1stPres/history.html#ws)"William Spiller, the son of Elijah Spiller (a Baptist preacher) was included in the list of those who helped found Carbondale. It appears that the Spillers occupied pew 3 in the original Presbyterian Church of Carbondale. They paid a $5 rental fee on July 17, 1868. In the 1850s three major fires brought to the foreground the need for an adequate town water supply. The Spiller home was one of those destroyed. It was on lot 86, near the northwest corner of the square."

Children of WILLIAM SPILLER and ELIZABETH SPILLER are:

i. ELIJAH SPILLER, b. Abt. 1836, Illinois.

ii. MOSES SPILLER, b. Abt. 1839, Illinois.

iii. LYDIA SPILLER, b. Abt. 1842, Illinois.

iv. JOHN B. SPILLER, b. Abt. 1844, Illinois.

v. MARY E. SPILLER, b. Abt. 1848, Illinois.

vi. ELIZABETH SPILLER, b. Abt. 1855, Illinois.

5. JOHN SPILLER was born Abt. 1825 in Illinois. He married SERENA (NEE UNK) SPILLER. She was born Abt. 1825 in Tennessee. In 1850, he and family are in Franklin Co., IL. The children, ages 2 and 1 yrs, were born in Arkansas. In 1860, they are in Williamson Co., IL. This is probably the John Spiler who is in the 1870 census of VanBuren, Crawford Co., AR. He is 49 yrs old and born in IL. With him is S.C.--f, 33, IL, keeping house; W.L.--m, 22, AR, farm laborer, Lucy A.--f, 20, AR; Carl--m, 16, IL, farm laborer; M.J.--f, 11, IL; Marion--m, 5, MO; and M.L., f, 2, OK territory.

Children of JOHN SPILLER and Sarah (SERENA) SPILLER are:

i. LEANA (CELIA) SPILLER, b. Abt. 1845, Arkansas.in 1860 census, name is Celia A.--living in Williamson Co., IL

ii. W.F. SPILLER(m), b. Abt. 1848, Arkansas.

iii. SUSANAH SPILLER, b. Abt. 1849, Arkansas.

iv. CARROLL (or Carl) SPILLER, b. Abt. 1852, Illinois.

v. MARY J SPILLER, b. 1860, Illinois.

vi. Marion Spiller b. abt 1865, Missouri

vii. M.L. Spiller (f) b. abt 1868, Oklahoma Territory

6. FRANCES SPILLER was born 07 Nov 1807 in Robertson Co., TN, and died 18 Apr 1883 in Lake Creek, Williamson Co., IL. She married WILLIAM P DUNCAN Bef. 1830, son of HENRY DUNCAN and MARY DUNCAN. He was born 14 Aug 1806 in Tennessee, and died 08 Jul 1877. Martha Canopy attached Frances to Elijah's family because she is not named in the other brothers' families. Elijah had 3 daughters. Some information from Beverly Spiller Armes, West Frankfort, IL, rec'd 1997 Names of children taken from Henry's probate. Earl Weaver's writings had 11 children, included Melvina, Darrell, and Eliza. Lavinia and Julia were not in Earl's writings.

Children of FRANCES SPILLER and WILLIAM DUNCAN are:

i. ANDREW JACKSON DUNCAN, b. 08 May 1831; d. 09 Oct 1900, Johnston City, IL.

ii. MALISSA J DUNCAN, b. Abt. 1833, Illinois; d. Abt. 1880.

iii. JEFFERSON M DUNCAN, b. Abt. 1835, Illinois.

iv. LYDIA DUNCAN, b. Abt. 1838, Illinois; m. (1) SAM MINER; m. (2) HALE DERRIS.From Earl Weaver's writings:---"Lydia Duncan, V. 1848, D. after 1908, m. first to Sam Miner. After Sam died, she married a second time to Hale Darris of Franklin County. There were some Darris children and son Henry was once sheriff of Franklin County. I (mlc) cannot find any record of Lydia's marriages or of either a Sam Miner or Hale Derris in the 1880 or 1900 census records of Illinois.

v. MILO LEMUEL DUNCAN, b. 24 Nov 1840, Illinois; d. 01 Apr 1880.

vi. LAVINA DUNCAN, b. Abt. 1842, Illinois.

vii. JULIA A DUNCAN, b. Abt. 1844, Illinois.

viii. AMANDA A DUNCAN, b. Abt. 1846, Illinois; m. THOMAS WHITE. Amanda's marriage to Thomas White is not recorded in Williamson Co., IL or Franklin Co., IL. From Earl Weaver's writings: "Amanda A, Duncan, B. 1846, D. _____ m. Thomas White. I recall seeing them. He didn't die till after 1909 when I saw him last. Two children, Emma White and Calvin White...nothing further."

ix. WARRENTON J. DUNCAN, b. Abt. 1849, Illinois.

x. JEMIMA JANE DUNCAN, b. 20 Jan 1852, Illinois; d. 25 Oct 1927.

xi. MELVINA DUNCAN, m. THOMAS WILSON.From Earl Weaver's writings: "M. Tho. Wilson. 2 children were born, Andrew and Sarah Wilson, no data on them. Melvina died early."

xii. ELIZA DUNCAN, b. 1832; m. SAM MARRS. From Earl Weaver's writings: "The third child of Wm. P. & Frances Duncan ("Uncle Billy a & Aunt Frankie" as they were called when old.)...was Eliza Duncan, B. 1832, D, when old. Married Sam Marrs, children: Jack, Wm., Tom and Isaac who never married. Girls were Anna, who married twice, first to a Moore, 3 children, and second to a Samples, more children."

xiii. DARRELL DUNCAN, b. 1829. From Earl Weaver's writings: 'Darrell Duncan, B. 1829, D. in midteens. He was the first to be buried in the home place cemetery. His mother could not bear to see him carried away from home."

7. ELIZABETH SPILLER was born 1818 in Illinois, and died Aft. 1880. She married JAMES DEASON. He was born Abt. 1812 in Kentucky. Some information from Beverly Spiller Armes, West Frankfort, IL, rec'd 1997 Martha Canopy attached Elizabeth w/o James Deason to Elijah because Elijah was the only Spiller in IL in 1818. Family found in the 1870 census of Twn 7, Range 2, Franklin Co., IL. Elizabeth said she was born in Illinois. James's birthplace was given as Louisiana.

Children of ELIZABETH SPILLER and JAMES DEASON are:

i. WILLIAM M. DEASON, b. Abt. 1836, Illinois.

ii. JAMES DEASON, b. Abt. 1838, Illinois.

iii. MERINAH DEASON, b. Abt. 1841, Illinois.

iv. NANCY A. DEASON, b. Abt. 1843, Illinois.

v. JOHN W. DEASON, b. Abt. 1845, Illinois.

vi. LYDIA.W. DEASON, b. Abt. 1848, Illinois.

vii. IRA DEASON, b. 1850, Illinois.

viii. MARIA DEASON, b. 1850, Illinois.

ix. ELLEN W. DEASON, b. Abt. 1862, Illinois.

Endnotes

1. 1850 census, Susan was in 1850 census of Williamson Co., IL in the home of Lydia and George Hunter..

2. Off the Beaten Path II by Helen Sutt Lind and Charla Schroeder Murphy, 68.

3. 1850 census.

4. Illinois Marriage Index online.

5. 1850 census.

6. 1860 census of Franklin Co., IL.