surnames-usa-L Archives

Archiver > surnames-usa > 1998-01 > 0886197230

From: JLEE051447< >
Subject: CODY; AL,USA; 1830-1880
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 13:53:50 -0800

CODY; AL,USA; 1830-1880

My name is Jerry Lee and I am working on my CODY part of the family.

Jacob CODY was born in the year of 1765 and died on August 8, 1858.
He is buried in Friendship North Cemetery in Detroit, Alabama.

His son, James A. CODY was born in 1809 in Jackson Co, Georgia.
He was an Alabama Senator in 1849 in Marion County and also was a farmer.
He married Jane COLBERT on April 19, 1826 in Hardeman County Tennessee
with Pleasant COLBERT as a bondsman. James brought land in Marion County
Alabama in 1833 and 1835 and was living there in 1840 and 1850. Jacob (his
father)
was living with him in 1850. Their children were (also listed is their age
based on
1850 census of Marion Co.):

His son, Andrew "Andy" CODY was born in Alabama and his wife was Betty
Hooligan (or Holigan). Andrew was said to have been born in Alabama
and Betty is to have died in 1893 in Marian (Marion?) County Alabama.

William Geromi CODY was born in November 20, 1859 in Detriot
Alabama. There is some confusion regarding his actual place of birth.
Detriot Alabama is in Lamar County but other records of his birth says that
he was born in Marion County.

Somewhere near his 20th birthday, he moved to Mississippi. There he met
and married Georgia Ann Higginbotham. Georgia was from Smithville,
Mississippi and they were married on Nov. 10, 1881. In December of
1893 they moved near Kemp, Texas in a community thought to called Shiloh.
Then in 1904, they moved to Scurry, Texas.

They had several children while in Mississippi and several in Texas. My
grandfather Andrew "Andy" CODY was born April 25, 1898. He married
my grandmother Ethel STRAIT on May 20, 1922.

William Geromi CODY died on Aug. 25, 1951 at St.Paul Hospital in Dallas.
He is buried in Scurry, TX. Georgia died at her home in Scurry and is also
buried there.

Are there any connections with your line? Thanks so much for your time.

This thread: