TEFFT-L Archives

Archiver > TEFFT > 2011-09 > 1315347279

From: Jennifer Jones Regan <>
Subject: [Tefft] South Carolina/Key West Tifts
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 15:14:39 -0700

Greetings Everyone,

Just wanted to drop a line and ask if anyone on list is researching the Tift
families as were present in South Carolina and/or Key West in the 1820-1860
time frame.

I have been researching Samuel O. Tift who married Louisa P. Harvey in Key
West on January 11, 1842. The Harvey family is my main concern, but I've
reached a wall with them, and am doing all I can with Louisa and her
siblings in order to find out more about what happened with this family
around the time of the Civil War.

Louisa had two sons with Samuel, but was never enumerated in a census with
him, from 1850-1860 (after which point I can no longer find her).

I did find a Samual Oaks Tift, of South Carolina, enumerated in Yuba County,
California (gold country) in 1860, and in the Great Register (voting) in
1872 & 1876. It is likely that this is the same man who was married to
Louisa, although I have no conclusive proof at the moment.

Would love to connect with anyone researching Tifts in the SC and Key West,
FL regions to try and place S. O. Tift in the family.

Thanks,
Jennifer

This thread: