TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2008-06 > 1214054674

From: "george legge" <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] TMG on a Mac
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 23:24:34 +1000

John, I can only commiserate.
According to the Wikipedia article on Foxpro, that software was originally
written for DOS, Mac OS, Windows, and Unix (so could work for LINUX).
However Microsoft took it over (now Visual Foxpro) and dropped every version
except the Windows one.
The open source program WINE has been used to run Visual Foxpro directly on
UNIX, but Microsoft raised strong objections (surprise-surprise), because it
was not being run on Windows.
Microsoft say they have no intention of supplying versions of Visual Foxpro
which can run directly on LINUX or MAC OS.
It seems that a port to UNIX-based OS such as LINUX and Mac OS would require
a complete rewrite and is most unlikely to occur.
It is a great pity, because TMG is way ahead of alternative programs, though
the open source program GRAMPS is catching up.
I suffer the same frustration, with all my applications being open source
except TMG, for which I employ VMWare to run Windows on LINUX.

There are several TMG users who run some form of windows emulator or virtual
machine on top of their LINUX or MAC OS.
However they surely would not number enough to finance a port of TMG.
The trouble is that by far the majority of TMG users are Windows addicts and
are unaware of reasons to change OS.
Genealogists who use other OS know those reasons but presumably are using
other programs and don't know the reasons to use TMG.
If you know both sets of reasons, you are doomed to remain unhappy.

George Legge

On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 12:04 AM, John <> wrote:

> I too would love to see a native Mac TMG version.
>
> Last year, I explored such a thing here and was told it can't happen
> because TMG is written in Visual Foxpro (as I recall). A M$ only
> product. I say, that should be remedied. Macs are growing in share,
> and will continue to do so. I won't go into all the reasons why,
> those with Macs that have suffered on Windows know.
>
> I have left Windoze completely behind for MacOS, except for TMG.
> Please hire a Mac geek to convert your code to Mac friendly
> development tools. From which you could also build a Windoze
> version. That way you'd have both platforms covered.

This thread: