TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2012-04 > 1335024993

From: Toby Turner <>
Subject: [TMG] Source Type for 1940 Census
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 11:16:33 -0500

Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 15:20:55 -0400
From: Tom Malek <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Source Type for 1940 Census

On 4/18/2012 3:25 PM, Terry Reigel wrote:
--------------------------------------
> First, I find that there is a family number for each family, but no
> dwelling number as in previous censuses. So the "dwelling" Source
> Element has to be made conditional. Easy enough.
Terry - Can I assume that, if one has a separate source for the 1940
census, the dwelling number element need not be included (not even
conditionally)?

Also, since the source elements are intended to gather data, at least in
part, to help other researchers find the original source, does it help
add the address (the street number and name)? Especially since the
dwelling data is no longer provided?

Tom, I have found a number of 1940 census pages in which NO street number or name was entered. I was stunned. Obviously, the census taker chose not to follow instructions. This has made my search absolutely impossible until the index is out. It doesn't matter that I know exactly where my parents lived. Several enumerators in the Orlando, Florida, area (outside the city limits) appear to have walked randomly up and down streets and around lakes without bothering to write in any of the addresses at all. Sigh
Toby

This thread: