TOWLE-L Archives

Archiver > TOWLE > 2000-12 > 0977350590

From: "Alger and Walcott Family" <>
Subject: RE: TOWLE
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 17:16:30 -0500

Shannon --

I have lots of Towles in my database, including a Henry William, but he is
not yours (born and died in Maine). I do have a William Towle, born 1826 in
Quebec who reportedly went to SD. It doesn't sound like yours either.
There are at least major three Towle(s)families in North America that I am
aware of. The largest (I think) are the desc. of Philip and Isabella
(Astin/Austin) Towle of Hampton, NH. Then there is a Towles family of
Virginia. And then a Towle family that settled later in Ontario, from
England.

Your Thole name, with its spelling pronunciation, almost sounds Scandanavian
to me. If so, seems it might have had a slash through the "o" originally.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. There aren't many people on this list,
but hang in there - maybe there will be later!

Cindy Walcott
Grand Isle, VT