Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2012-09 > 1346885522

From: Harold Henderson <>
Subject: Re: [TGF] KDP Criteria
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 17:52:02 -0500

Elizabeth --

Good question. I suppose the answer depends on one's interpretation of
"necessary."

For example: The first-generation family owned a good deal of land, and I
went to some trouble to locate as many parcels as possible (in a county
where most deeds and tax records are lost), and produced detailed tables of
their holdings as far as could be determined. That did teach me some things
about the family, but if I had condensed that part of the study I don't
think it would have failed to meet standards.

Another example: The widow was not marked as illiterate in any census, but
she signed every document by mark; I spent some time puzzling over that
apparent contradiction. From the point of view of the family history I
would like to write, this is all good. From the narrower point of view of
meeting standards, it could be viewed as overkill, but in a good way.

My approach was pretty much the opposite of Michael Hait's and I can see
good reasons for both approaches.

Harold

--
Harold Henderson
Research and Writing from Northwest Indiana

Certified Genealogist and CG are proprietary service marks
of the Board for Certification of Genealogists® used by the
Board to identify its program of genealogical competency
evaluation and used under license by the Board’s associates.

midwestroots.net

This thread: