TRIPP-L Archives

Archiver > TRIPP > 2003-12 > 1070285928

Subject: [TRIPP] John Tripp's bio
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 08:38:48 EST

For anyone interested, I have put together a chronological bio for John Tripp
who came to America. Probably more could be added due to his active life.

Dr. Dale

1638 Apr 30: He was admitted as an inhabitant of the island of Aquidneck,
(Later Rhode Island), signed a compact with twenty-eight others as follows: "We
whose names are underwritten do acknowledge
ourselves the legal subjects of his majesty king Charles, and in his name do
hereby bind ourselves into a civil body politic, unto his laws according to
matters of justice".

1640 Aug 1: "1st pf the 8th month 1640 It is ordered, that every first
Tuesday in the Month of July, the Judge and Elders shall assemble together to heare
and determine all such causes as shall be presented.....A Catalogue of such
(persons), who. by the Generall consent of the Company were admitted to be
Inhagytants of the Island now called Aqueedneck, having submitted themselves to the
Government that is or shall be established, according to the word of God
therein." John Tripp is amoung the names listed.

1643 Mar 1: "It it further ordered, that John Trip have granted three ackers
of land joyning unto Thomas Gorton, either syde of him, as should be judged
meet by the latter."

1648 May 16: Acts and orders made at the General Courte of Election, held at
Providence, "...It is ordered that six men (John Tripp of Portsmouth) of each
Towne shall be chosen, in whom y General Court shall continue; and each Towne
here shall have the choice of their men if they please...and it is oredered,
that this Committee shall have power to determine by y Major vote"

1648,1654,1655,1658,1661,1662,1663,1664,1666,1667,1668,1669,and 1672: Served
as a deputy.

1649, 1650, 1653: John servrd on a jury.

1651: He is clerk of "the wayghts and measures". In the same year he makes an
agreement with Ralph Earle concerning a line fence. This precise paper fills
one and one half pages of the records, as printed. It was signed in the
presence of four witnesses, one of whom was Benedict Arnold. The meat of it was
that each signer should play fair with the other, as to reciprocity on stones
and in the work of building the stone fence; a chief ofject being to "make
there sayed landes several to each of their private uses."
John was between two fires, in that Ralph Earl's land joined him on both the
north and the south sides. One point of the agreement read thus: "From yeare
to yeare, so long as those sayd lots ly open together, Earl's to Tripp's
aforenamed, that they will not on either of these said lots damnify each other by
Cattell there put by their order." This agreement was considered so important
that the heirs of both signers are included in its terms, and a forfeit of
twenty pounds sterlng is laid on the failure; to be "payed by the
Ptie defective, unto the other Ptie engaged therein". Formal seals completed
the document, when signed.

1655: John Tripp was chosen "commissioner of the Colony, to transact the
business of the Generall Court to be held at Providence at the usuall tyme". He
here appears as "Mr. John Tripp."

1657 Nov 30: Granted land on Hog Island, for a term of seven years.

1660 Feb 6: Calling himself about 49, gave testimony that he had heard his
uncle, Robert Potter, say that he had sold a certain house and land to John
Anthony.

1661: John, with five others, to serve as a "Court of Comitioners" at
Portsmouth.

1662: He was chosen to serve on the next General court of Commissioners to be
held at Warwick.

1663 Feb: Four "Comitioners or deputyes" were chosen to serve at a General
Court to be held
at Newport. Of these, was Mr. John Tripp. Another was his brother in law Mr.
Lott Stange; who had married Alice Paine, sister to John Tripp's wife Mary.

1665 Sep 8: Sold his son Peleg 1/4 of the section of land in Dartmouth former
ly bought of John Alden

1666: John appear on the records as "Mr. John Tripp senior" and he serves
this year on the Grand Jury.

1666 Aug: The town meeting appointed John Tripp, his son in law's father,
William Hall and two
others "to survaie and view all cattell that shall be henceforth transported
off the Iland and to take the names of all such as transport cattell, the day
of the month when, the number of the Generall Cattel, with there severall ear
marks and if any have cattel that have not their own eare marke or that have
other markes than ther owen the survayers are hereby required to make stopp of
them, unless thay give satisfaction to the survayers how they cam by those
Cattel, so differently marked. and the survayeers are to see the Cattell boated
and if any carry cattell off the ILand in the night, though survayed before,
shall have a survayer to see them at ther going of shore or shall forfeit
tenn pounds and stand to further sensuer of the toune".

1667: The town chooses him to serve, with Albro, Cooke, Aly, William Hall and
Sanford, to devise a method of preventing "the destruction of wood and timber
of this township" and some method of redress for the town.

1667 Jun: John Tripp is once more chosen as one of the four Portsmouth
"deputies for ye next Generall Court, as deputy.

1669: John serves again in the General Assembly, held at Newport in May of
that year.

1670 Feb 17: From The Document of John Tripp in the New Bedford, MA library
The resolution of John the said John Tripp concerning the places of his
abode. First I was born in Covetown (or Horetow, Covetown) in Lincolnshire 3 miles
from Benton Harbor, and my father's name was John Tripp and my mother's name
was Isabel Moses and before she married my father when she was a maid and they
had about twelve children and much kindred we had and when I grew in years I
was put an apprentice to a shapt (ships?) carpenter whose name was John Baaty
(Beety, Beedy?) of [Horys]bury three miles of from Alsand in Lincolnshire
aforesaid where i served years and sometime after wrought with him and after that
I bound myself to owe Frances East for 4 pounds a year for 4 years who sold me
and I had served him and his assign for about a year and a half. He sold me
to Robert Jafra (Jeffery?) then living in Boston and Boston church members
persecuted some to the offending of others. My master came to Rhode Island with
the said persecuted people and I with him and his wife being sickly and they
could not get their maid to Rhode Island with them. People whom the said
members and expelled from them. Therefore my master was forced to sell me to
Randall Houlding of Portsmouth on Rhode Island and I served a while and after bought
out the rest of time of him and after a while I married a wife whose maiden
name was Mary Paine. I being about thirty or twenty eight years old or
thereabouts, and the Lord hath given us eleven children of when one is dead. The
eldest is 29 years old and ---- this 17 on the second month 1670. Praised be thee
our Rock who hath been help and unto us at all times give what thou pleased.
It is mercy from thee to rerceive anything for the earth and sea is all thine
and the fullness thereof.

1671 May 3: Sold his son Joesph 1/4 interest in land formerly bought of John
Alden in Dartmouth

1672: He serves in the April Assembly, and also in that of October.

1672: John becomes moderator of the Portsmouth meeting; to which office he is
chosen each year therafter up to and including 1675.

1675: John was chosen by the town council for three several offices besides
that of moderator. One of these was that of prover and sealer of weights and
measures, "accordinge as the law of this Collony hath provided."

1676 "John Tripp also had a ferry here and the first mention made is in 1676
when Captain Church of Tiverton, the famous Indian fighter, crossed to Bristol
on Tripp's ferry.
Their home is now the present address of the Pocasett Country Club."

1677 Dec 6: John wrote his will. Will: Executrix, wife Mary. Witnesses,
Robert Hodgson, Zuriel Hall, John Anthony. To wife, all his estate, consisting of
lands, good and chattels, movable and immovable, during her natural life,
"only my old house excepted, or north end of my building which I have given to my
son John Tripp formerly." To son John, house lot, and ten acres of land in
the clay pit field, and meadows at Hog Island; and all fencing, houses,
orchards, etc., " excepting my new house or south end of my building," etc. To son
Abiel the south half of building last alluded to with lot adjoining, and other
land; and Abiel was to pay L5 to his brother Peleg, and L10 to his brother
Joesph. To son James, 1/8 of a share of land at Dartmouth, and rights in land
lying in the Narragansett County and Westerly. To daughter Martha, L20, and to
grandchild Elizabeth Wodell, L10.

1678 Oct 28: John's will was proved.

This thread: