WARWICK-L Archives

Archiver > WARWICK > 2002-08 > 1030137376

From: Maureen Donwen <>
Subject: [WAR] RABONE - Leamington
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 09:09:50 -0700

Hello List,

I am new to this list and researching my RABONE family from Warwickshire.

Samuel RABONE (b. abt 1832) married Margaret WILLIAMS (b. abt 1838) in
Saint Mark, Birmingham, Warwick, on 16 Jan 1859.

They had 3 children that I know of:
Elizabeth b. abt. 1859 - married Francis Robert GODFREY in Marlborough NZ
Samuel b. abt. 1863 - married Florence Louisa POPE in Dunedin NZ, in 1886
Eliza Jane b. abt.1865 - aka Jane -unable to locate any further
information about her

This family emigrated to New Zealand aboard the vessel Schiehallion in
1872 under special arrangment with Messrs Brogden & Sons. Although I
don't have a great deal of detail, I understand that Mr Brodgen was
contracted to advance the development of the railway in New Zealand

Charles Rooking Carter was the immigration agent contracted by John
Brogden & Sons to solicit and sign up prospective recruits. He was in
Leamington, Warwickshire on 29 March 1872 and held a meeting for
prospects in the Town Hall where he signed up 12 adults for the
Schiehallion which left London on 13 April 1872

It is therefore possible that my RABONE family lived in Leamington.

Any information, assistance, guidance on where to look for this family
would be helpful. I am happy to swap lookups in Auckland NZ, for
lookups for this family either in Warwickshire, England or the
Marlborough or Dunedin regions of NZ.

kind regards
Maureen Donwen
New Zealand