WHITNEY-L Archives

Archiver > WHITNEY > 1999-11 > 0942208000

From: <>
Subject: [WHITNEY-L] Lineage
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 23:26:40 EST

1. Joshua Whitney was born unknown in ?? and died 1735 in ??, He married
Martha.

I think that this Joshua is the father of Joshua who died 1762, but I'm
not sure. This Joshua was a mariner who owned the ship Ketring (also called
Catherine) and came to Isle of Wight County from Bermuda. He bought land in
Isle of Wight in 1721 and sold this land in 1734. He also bought 150 acs. in
Isle of Wight in 1725 from Christopher Reynolds. In his will he left this
land to be sold for the benefit of his children. His will was recorded in
both Isle of Wight and North Carolina. He died in 1735 and made the
following bequests: to wife Martha, Negro wench Deansia; to son David, girl
Maria and 1/4 of sloop Ketring; to son Jeremiah (Jerimih) man Frake and 1/4
of sloop Ketring; to son Samuel, Mulatto boy Derrie and 1/4 of sloop; to dau.
Ketring, Mulatto wench Jean, cedar chest, bed; to son Joseph 3 silver spoons;
to dau. Ruth, 3 silver spoons; to son Francis (one abstract says Thomas,
others Francis and I think Francis is correct) 3 silver spoons; My plantation
on Pagan Creek and stock to be sold and divided among my wife and children.
Sons David and Jeremiah, Exec. A reference in Isle of Wight deeds 1746,
states that Jeremiah Whitney is the surviving Ex. of Joshua Whitney, and that
he sold 150 acs. belonging to Joshua and that the proceeds were divided among
his children. ( D.B. 7 p. 309). David must have been dead at this time.
Jeremiah died in 1782 - reference to his estate and wife Susanna in Va.
Genealogist AP - June 1982. There are references to Samuel Whitney and
Francis Whitney in Edgecomb Co. N.C. in the 1740-1760 period. I see no
further reference to Joseph. Joshua does not mention a son Joshua, unless
Joseph was really Joshua, but there is a will in Isle of Wight of Eleanor
Giles in 1734 that makes a bequest to Joshua Whitney, Jr. the son of my
grandaughter. At this time he was under 21, so he would be one of the
younger children - I think born about 1720. Maybe this was not a first
marriage for Joshua Sr. Im still working on this connection, {jcf}

Children of Joshua Whitney and Martha:

2. i. Joshua Whitney, b. abt 1720, Isle of Wight, d. 1762, Southampton
Co.
ii. Jeremiah Whitney
iii. Samuel Whitney
iv. Ketring Whitney
v. Joseph Whitney
vi. Ruth Whitney
vii. Francis Whitney
viii. David Whitney

2. Joshua Whitney (Joshua) was born abt 1720 in Isle of Wight Co., Va. and
died 1762 in Southampton Co., Va. He married Margaret Joyner, abt 1750.

The will of Joshua Whitney was recorded in Southampton Will Book 2, p. 3.
He made bequests to son Joshua land adj. George Lawrence, Charles Lawrence,
Elisha Ballard and Bennett Hilsman; to son Elisha land bought in Isle of
Wight of George Brewer and land in Southampton adj. Giles Joyner, son Giles
all the remainder of this tract of land and plantation whereon I now live;
wife Margery, dau. Amy Whitney. Exec. to acknowledge deed in Isle of Wight
to Thomas Lankford for land adj. John Lankford and William Bulls. Ex. wife
Margary and friend John Joyner. D. 18 May 1762, R. 14 Oct 1762. Each of the
three boys received a gun, Joshua the largest.

Margaret was the daughter of Joseph Joyner and Elizabeth Smelley Joyner.

Children of Joshua Whitney and Margaret Joyner:
3. i. Joshua Whitney
4. ii. Elisha Whitney
iii. Giles Whitney- died unmarried in Southampton 1783, intestate
iv. Amy Whitney

3. Joshua Whitney (Joshua, Joshua) was born abt 1750 in Southampton Co., and
died 1814 in Southampton Co., Va. He married (1) Ann, bef 1777 in
Southampton Co., (2) Dorothy "Dolly" Douglas, Oct 20, 1795, Southampton Co.
Va.

Ann may have been a Jones. In Southampton Co., Will Book 3, p. 182 is
the will of Nathan Jones written and recorded in 1777. He makes a bequest to
brother Thomas Jones, wife Mary with a reversioin to cousin Mary, daughter
of Blythe Williams, if without heirs to Ann, now the wife of Joshua Whitney.

Children of Joshua Whitney and Ann:
5. i. John Whitney
6. ii Joshua Whitney
7. iii David Whitney
iv. Jeremiah Whitney, b. abt 1788, died unmarried 1816, Southampton
Co
v. Polly Whitney, married Elisha Joyner 21 May 1804
vi. Nancy Whitney, b. abt 1790
vii. Sally Whitney, married John Boykin 21 May 1812

Child of Joshua Whitney and Dorothy Douglas:
viii. None Whitney

4. Elisha Whitney (Joshua, Joshua) was b. abt 1752 in Southampgon Co., and
died 1801 in Southampton Co. He married Mary Williams bet. 1783-1787 in
Southampton Co.

Elisha's will in S. H. will Book 5, p. 296 written 1 Nov 1800 and
recorded 20 Jul 1801. He left land and plantation to son John - to Poly
Branch, - one gun and a colt by the name of Starling. Elizabeth to get rest
of land from Poley Branch to Blackwater River.. If she dies without heir
land to go to John. John died by 1813 and his bequests were divided.

Mary was the daughter of Blythe Williams, she married (2) Elijah Johnson

Children of Elisha Whitney and Mary Williams:
i. John Whtiney - died by 1813, unmarried
ii. Elizabeth Whitney, m. David Conger 27 Apr 1807
iii. Nancy Whitney, married Hansel Rowe, 10 May 1814
iv. Charlotte Whitney

5. John Whitney ( Joshua, Joshua, Joshua), was born abt 1780 in Southampton
Co., and died abt 1844 in Isle of Wight Co., Va. He married Ann Bracy Dec
18, 1800 in Southampton Co.

John died about 1844. I have no positive proof that Martha was the
daughter of John and Ann, but this is the only place she could be placed in
the Whitney family and the dates are right. In the 1810 census of
Southampton, John and Ann had one daughter 1-10. I see two males in
Southampton who don't fit anywhere else - Alexander and Selaney. They may
also belong to this family. {jcf}

Child of John Whitney and Ann Bracy:
i. Martha Whitney, b. abt 1805, Southampton Co., d. Jun 1838 in
Southampton, She married Richard Corbitt Feb 23 1826 in Southampton Co.
{Richard and Martha (Patsy) are my 4th great grandparents)

Martha (Patsy) was a member of Black Creek Baptist Church. The church
records show that she died 1838, about the same time as her husband Richard
Corbitt. Patsy and Richard were married 23 Feb 1826

6. Joshua Whitney (Joshua, Joshua, Joshua) was b. abt 1780 in Southampton
Co. and died in 1837 also in Southampton Co. He married Sweeten Joyner Nov
16, 1811 in Southampton.

Joshua died 1837 in Southampton
Sweeten Joyner was the daughter of John Joyner and Sarah and grandaughter
of John Joyner and Sweeting Reynolds.

Children of Joshua Whitney and Sweeten Joyner.
i. Merit J. Whitney, b. abt 1813, d. 9 Mar 1890, Nansemond Co., m. Martha
Carroll, 6 Feb 1843 in Isle of Wight Co., Va.
ii. Giles S. Whitney, b. abt 1816
iii. Sarah J. Whitney, b. abt 1818
iv. Joshua Whitney, b. abt 1822, Southampton, d. unknown? m. Mary F. abt
1848?

A Joshua Whitney was in the Pasquotank census in 1840 . In 1850 Camden
Co., N.C. I found Joshua Whitney, born Va, age 28 with wife Mary F. age 19,
born in Camden. Chancery order book Southampton 1832-1858 - Merit Whitney,
Giles Whitney, Sarah Whitney, Virginia Whitney, Martha Ann Whitney and Mary
Whitney, widow of Joshua Whitney, dec. against John M. Whitney. There were
six bonds, one each for Merit, Giles, Sarah, Virginia, Martha A. and John M.
infant heir of Joshua Whitney, dec. To report to court if he has no guardian
{p. 316}. P. 348 to determind value of dower of Mary F. Whitney in bond
given to John M. Whitney of $202.37. Decree had been Nov., term 1852. Mary
F. to get $56.66. Balance of land had been bought by Giles S. Whitney.
v. Virginia R. Whitney
vi. Martha Ann Whitney

7. David Whitney (Joshua, Joshua, Joshua) was born bet. 1780-1790 in
Southampton Co., and died 1838 in Southampton Co., Va. He married Nancy
Joyner 21 Dec 1811 in Southampton Co.

Nancy Whitney asked for letters of dismission from Black Creek Bapt. Church
for herself and three daughters, Mary L., Catherine Presson and Louisa in
1853. Nancy was the daughter of William Joyner and Mary Whitney.

Children of David Whitney and Nancy Joyner:

i. Elizabeth Whitney, d. Apr 1841 per Black Creek Bapt Church records
ii. Mary L. Whitney, was unmarried and d. 11 Nov 1896, per S.H. death records
iii. Catherine Whitney, m. Joel Presson 22 Jan 1840
iv. William Whitney,
v. Louisa M. Whitney, was unmarried in S.H. 1860 census and was listed as a
seamstress.

That is all the information I have on the Whitney's. Would love to be able
to prove that Martha (Patsy) Whitney that married my 4th gr. grandfather is
the daughter of John Whitney and Ann Bracy.

Pat in Va.

This thread: