WOODWORTH-L Archives

Archiver > WOODWORTH > 2000-09 > 0968029385

From: "John H. Brennan" <>
Subject: Re: [WOODWORTH-L] Good Map of Lancashire in 1610, was Walter from here?
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2000 21:03:05 -0400

Susan,

It's just a strong hunch. Mainly due to my study of current day
Woodworth's in the UK. If you plot where all the Woodworth's with
registered telephones live, you'll see that the largest concentration of
them are in the Liverpool area. There are signs of them all over the
country, but seem to radiate from the Liverpool area. Besides, my trip
to Chester was so nice, I'd like to justify another trip :-).

Hull was another thought, but that didn't seem to pan out. Kent, well,
I think maybe he sailed from there, hence the connection, but look for
Woodworth's, Woodward's or Woodards there today or 1610 and you'll find
a blank sheet of paper.

One historian I had lunch with over there said that the name is derived
from "warden of the woods". Lancashire had several forests and not far
from Manchester is their national forest.

I'm more puzzled by the name "Walter" than anything. Walter isn't a
common name in the UK now and was far from it then. I started looking
for maiden names like "Walter" and "Walters", but got side tracked and
didn't get further.

John

wrote:

> On Sun, 03 Sep 2000 13:03:26 -0400 "John H. Brennan"
> <> writes:
> > I found this map of lancashire, england in 1610 (actually, I just
> > found
> > it, the map was created in 1610!) which is in the area I believe
> > Walter
> > was from. Enjoy!
> >
> > http://www.lancashire.com/lcc/oldmap/speed/speed.jpg
> >
> John
>
> I am interested in hearing your theories about Walter being from the
> Lancashire, England area.
>
> regards, susan
>
> Susan Moore
> Windsor, CT; Tolland, MA; Nokomis,FL