XANTHIS-L Archives

Archiver > XANTHIS > 2002-11 > 1036371600

From: Cresswell Family <>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 09:02:08 +0800

Welcome

Welcome to the new XANTHIS Mailing List. This list commenced on Friday
November 1st 2002.

Contributions are welcomed to the list and feel free to post XANTHIS
info on your family line. By doing so you may just help someone else
progress their family knowledge a bit more. Where possible I will try
and keep this list unmoderated and ask that mailing list etiquette be
always maintained.

My specific interest lies in the XANTHIS surname from Castellorizo
Greece and any associated families in Australia, USA, Canada and New
Zealand through migration to those countries. But I also have a wider
interest in the name throughout the World no matter where the surname
originates or is presently found.

Many of the XANTHIS families (including that of mine) have an associated
link with Asia Minor (now Turkey) or other Greek localities such as
Rhodes. The surname is also recorded as XANTHOS and it is unknown
whether those with this surname connect in any way (or come from the
same origins) with XANTHIS. There as often problems when Greek names are
'Anglicised' in English speaking countries.

Genealogical tools are almost non existent for early Greek research and
in my case I had to rely on family stories to try and piece together
some of my Greek ancestry. Often there are people out there who may have
some of the answers to the questions that are asked. It is mailing lists
like this one that allows this exchange of information.

It is appreciated that the surname of XANTHIS cannot be classified as
a common name therefore this list may be quiet for some time. Please
post your interests, queries or stories on your XANTHIS name although
the subscribers may be small in number. Others may join some months or
years later and will still have available to them your message via the
Mailing List Archives.

Welcome again to the list.

Allan CRESSWELL
List administrator for RootsWeb's XANTHIS mailing list