XIMENES-L Archives

Archiver > XIMENES > 2005-08 > 1123262815

From: Dani Brown <>
Subject: THE 2005 FGS CONFERRENCE IN SALT LAKE CITY
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 10:26:55 -0700 (PDT)

"Along Those Lines . . .
"THE 2005 FGS CONFERENCE IN SALT LAKE CITY (OR "DON'T
GO TO THE FAMILY
HISTORY LIBRARY!)," by George G. Morgan
Utah Genealogical
Society, the FGS Conference is one of the highlights
of the genealogical
calendar in the United States. This year's FGS
Conference will be held on
7-10 September 2005 in Salt Lake City, home of the
venerable Family
History Library and other magnificent sights and
experiences.

As with other FGS Conferences, though, this one is no
exception to its
predecessors; it will be an extraordinary conference
you won't want to
miss! If you haven't considered attending this
conference, please visit
the FGS Web site (http://www.fgs.org) to view the
outstanding conference
program, the list of internationally recognized
speakers, the list of
luncheon and dinner banquets, and the exciting list of

vendors and
exhibitors. It's not too late to register for the
conference, either for
the full run or for a single day.

In "Along Those Lines . . ." this week, I want to tell

you that I don't
think any conference attendee should visit the Family
History Library in
Salt Lake City. You say, "What is George saying?!!"
Well, the FGS
Conference is just so chock full of great experiences
that I'm certain
that the library will be a great disappointment to
just everyone. I'll
tell you why later. In the meantime, let me tell you
the reasons why
you're going to want to stay put at the conference
venue.

MESMERIZING AND INFORMATIVE SPEAKERS
The FGS Conference this year features a whopping 102
scheduled speakers!
Each and every one has the knowledge and insight into
his or her topic(s)
to help you learn something that certainly will
benefit your genealogical
research. The speakers represent all areas of
genealogical research
methodologies, international geographical and ethnic
research resources
and techniques, and a host of libraries and archives.
The amount of
knowledge and presentation talent at this conference
should have you
riveted to the lecture seats. Can the librarians at
the Family History
Library teach you as much?

DYNAMIC SESSIONS
The FGS Conference schedule contains 196 lecture
sessions and meal
events, each of which contains a presentation by one
or more of the 102
speakers. You can choose from sessions about research
methods and
techniques, domestic and foreign research, different
record types and the
repositories where they can be found, heritage and
credentialing
organizations, military research, the use of genetics
in genealogical
research, and scores of other topical areas. You will
find something to
attend in each of the lecture time slots and at each
of the luncheons and
dinners and these will keep your scheduled filled.
You'll have neither
the time nor the energy to venture to the Family
History Library.

If you come to Salt Lake City on Monday, you're sure
to want to register
for the Association of Professional Genealogists'
Professional Management
Conference. You don't have to be a member to register,

and you will
always learn a lot from the professional researchers
who present how they
approach research and a genealogical business.

SUMPTUOUS MEALS AND BANQUET SPEAKERS
If you've never attended a luncheon or dinner at a
national conference,
you don't know what you're missing! The menu choices
are always carefully
chosen and delicious--especially the desserts. The
speakers are both
informative and entertaining, and there really is
something at lunchtime
and dinnertime for everyone. One of the highlights
will, of course, be
the FGS Banquet on Friday evening, 9 September, when
FGS President Wendy
Bebout Elliott will present a number of special
awards, and at which
speaker and master storyteller Stephani Raff will help

you catch the
vision of what storytelling can do to liven up your
family tree by
experiencing the energy and power of well-crafted
family tales. This
promises to be a magical evening!

EXCITING EXHIBITS
The exhibit hall at the conference will fill your time

before, between,
and after the riveting lectures and meals you attend.
More than 100
vendors have signed up to exhibit. There are
exhibitors from all over the
United States and Canada, and from as far away as
Germany, Ireland, and
Sweden! They represent publishers, booksellers,
genealogy supplies and
clothing vendors, software companies, map sellers,
photographic
restoration services, genealogical and historical
societies, heritage and
lineage societies, and other types of products and
services.

I always enjoy working my way through the entire
exhibit hall, stopping
at every booth to discuss genealogy and to pick the
brains of the
exhibitors. The publishers and booksellers naturally
cannot bring their
entire inventory with them, especially books and other

printed materials.
However, I have often discussed with a vendor a
special type of resource
I'm looking for and frequently have found that the
vendor has just that
item back home. Bonanza!

In addition, talk to the genealogical societies,
heritage and historical
societies, and the credentialing societies about their

activities. If
you're interested in writing a family history or a
column, in print or
online, or are interested in publishing, check out the

International
Society of Family History Writers and Editors (ISFHWE)

booth. If you or
your society is looking for a speaker, or if you
personally want to
develop your own genealogical speaking and
presentation skills, visit the
Genealogical Speakers Guild (GSG) booth next to
ISFHWE. Software vendors
will demonstrate their products and discuss tips and
tricks to maximize
your use of them. Ancestor Detective, MyFamily.com,
RootsMagic,
GenSmarts, Gold Bug/Animap, and more software
developers and sellers will
be there to help you find just the right products to
accelerate and hone
your research.

NO TIME FOR THE LIBRARY!
Whew! Now do you understand why I say that the FGS
Conference is going to
keep you busy 100% of the time you are in Salt Lake
City? With all that
in mind, be sure to visit the FGS Web site today
(http://www.fgs.org) and
register for this great conference.

In the meantime, don't even think of going to the
Family History Library
there! And just why do you think I'd even say that?
Well, that's an easy
answer--I WANT IT ALL TO MYSELF!

I hope to meet you at the FGS Conference in Salt Lake
City in September.

Happy Conferencing!
George

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs